Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Time to start posting

I have neglected my blog, and it's time to start posting. Getting started has been difficult not only because I have no great supply of free time, but also because over the last several years of reading and regurgitating hard cold facts, the creativity has gradually been sucked out of me. But no longer.

I am now on my Ob-Gyn rotation, after having completed Internal Medicine (no thank you, you may keep your average patient age of 88, with 23 medications each, 9 coexisting chronic diseases, and your smoking/poor diet/couch potato lifestyle that got you there) and Pediatrics (whose little patients, even when miserable, were a refreshing antidote to my usual cynicism and ambivalence that you may have already noticed).

Ob-Gyn, on the other hand, is a strange specialty which I'm not quite sure about yet. Patients allow you to poke and prod them in ways that are almost obscene; they entrust not only their own health into your hands but also that of their unborn children; they willingly tell you some of the deepest darkest secrets of their lives; and they thank you when they are done. You treat warts and colds and funny smells and funny feelings, and you slice people open, you look at stuff under the microscope, and you bring life into the world. There are dead moments where all you do is wait, and wait, and wait some more; and there are moments where there is a flurry of activity and if you don't get your rear in gear you're going to miss it.

One thing I can say is, that you'll never be bored on this rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment