Wednesday, October 29, 2008

OB Lesson 1

Last night I learned a very useful lesson for OB nights on call. That is, that at the moment you think nothing is happening, and it just might be safe to duck out for a moment and not have things go awry when you are gone, the opposite will always happen. There will be emergency C-sections, there will be fetal distress, there will be pre-eclampsia.

But as annoying as that can be on a long night on call, when you live just far enough away to make it not worth trying to go home, and as disappointing as it is to arrive late for a delivery or a surgery, this phenomenon can also be used to my advantage. Last night my attending and I were lounging around at the hospital, following a pregnant patient who was in labor and had been significantly dilated for an hour or two, but the fetus still was at a high station and didn't seem to show signs of descending any time soon. So, the two of us figured it would still be an hour or so before she delivered.

Since I knew I had class the next day and no shortage of reading to do, I wasn't very enthused about sitting around for another hour waiting. I can never get any quality studying done in the hospital. Then I thought, what could make this go faster? Then of course it hit me. This was a favorite patient of mine, and I would be extremely sorry to miss her delivery. So I reasoned that if I left the ward for a moment and went down to the doctor's lounge to get a much-needed cup of coffee, that would naturally be when she would shoot that baby out just in time for me to miss it!

A plan was born. I had to execute it skillfully though, because I only wanted to tempt fate, and I had to make sure I would get away with it. It wouldn't be easy - the nurses have a knack for predicting when their patient is about to deliver, but they never can seem to give more than about 2 minutes notice. My attending would call me after the nurse called her, but that would lose precious seconds. Then I would have to quickly gown and glove up - not a quick task for a newbie like me. That would lose a minute at least. It could be tight, but I thought I could make it.

So I headed downstairs toward the lounge, with some fire under my feet. And, like clockwork, the second I put my styrofoam cup under the capuccino dispenser, my phone rang. I was actually shocked that it had worked so flawlessly ~ by leaving for two minutes I had cut an hour off of my patient's labor time! So I left my cup sitting in the machine with the coffee still flowing, raced upstairs, threw on my steral garb, and made it back to the patient's room just in time for the delivery. I caught the baby, delivered the placenta, and sewed up a laceration myself.

I've never felt so smooth. All without a hitch. I got to go home, and I wasn't called again that night. Ahhh, it is sweet when things work out.

6 comments:

  1. Loved reading this blog, Sweet Pea (Ooops... Guess I shouldn't call you Sweet Pea 'cause this blog is public. Too late! (Said it twice now) Do "pleasantly eccentric" Dads get special dispensation??). Mary, the blog is a great idea! It does make me feel more connected. Also, perhaps it will be the basis for "Scrubs - Season 14", "ER" or something...
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. - I'm not really "anonymous", just couldn't get the "Select profile" signature to work any other way ;-) Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Mary! I love reading what it's like to be a "doctor in training." Sounds like a great way for you to document your training memories and to keep all who love you aware of what you're going through!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mary! I love reading your blog and seeing what's new with you! Keep the posts coming.

    Also, I thought you might enjoy a neat photo blog by Kris Atomic:
    http://www.krisatomic.com/blog/?m=200810

    That's just from October, but I really like her work. Love ya!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, the superstition begins!! I'm so glad you decided to put this blog together and keep us in the loop. Remind me to tell you about my STI intensive training next time I talk to you. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary. Wow, what a blog! I am so happy you got to take part in such an amazing thing...births are God's miracles. I remembered I got that email from you and hadn't had a chance to check it out, so thank you for including me. I look forward to seeing you soon- Bev

    ReplyDelete